Thursday 11 June 2015

BAFRA Training - Rewarding dedication


Article by Chris Brice
 
Session 1

My first training session opened with the usual “Why do you want to be an official?” For me it is because I am very dedicated to my job and need something completely different to let off some steam! I have been interested in American Football since around the year 2000 when I watched my first New England Patriots game, so adopted them as the team I would follow.

When I applied for the Officials role they send you out the Mechanics Manual and Rule Book, both of which look very daunting without anyone to explain the contents. Luckily my first session was taken by Albert Lambert, who is a well-seasoned player, coach and now an official. His knowledge of the game is amazing and something to aspire to.
 

When all of the general chat to put me at ease was out of the way we started to get stuck into the different positions of the Officials. Referee, Umpire, Head Linesman, Line Judge, Back Judge and all of their responsibilities. All of this was new to me so there were lots of questions which were very patiently answered every time. We then moved onto the Terminology used such as Neutral Zone, Press Box etc which was slightly more familiar to me.

The next thing was the signals…most of which without any knowledge look like you are trying to direct an Easy Jet into a holding bay! Luckily with some explanation and demonstrations they began to all make sense.
 

The only questionable part of the session was when Albert had to go through the legal pressure of the footballs used in the games whilst I am sat there in my New England Patriots t-shirt, although it did provide quite a bit of laughter!

I left the session feeling like my head had exploded with all the new info to take in but the way in which it was delivered made it bearable and even more interest to learn more and get out of the field. 

 

 

Session 2

Going into my 2nd session was slightly easier as I have managed to read through bits and pieces of the 2 manuals that you will use throughout to Officiating career.

This session focused on a quick re-cap of the last session making sure that I had taken in most of the info passed in the 3 hour session.

We moved onto different kicking plays that can be done during a game, scrimmage kicks, punts, field goals and PATS. Each of which has a slightly different way of what an Official needs to look out for and where you stand on the field. Kicking plays are not normally something I would pay that much attention to whilst watching a game but I was amazed with how much goes into each and every play from the Officials. I have had to make a mental note of not “watching” the game from a spectator’s point of view and watching from an Officials point of view instead, which goes against all you instincts and a Football fan!
 

The positions the Officials will take on also very much differ on the amount of Officials they have. Ranging from a minimum of a 4 man crew up to an 8 man crew. The more Officials there are means the less of the field they will have responsibility for making it slightly easier for them.

Passing plays turn out to be just as complicated as the Kicking plays. With Illegal positions, false starts, illegal snaps, offensive/defensive players in the neutral zone, the list goes on. This will be an area worth going over again in my own time to get it clear in my own head as there is so much going on I’d need to be sure what I am looking for.

I left this session with a few things to revisit in my own time and to get a head start on the 3rd session but loving the process none the less. It takes a lot of dedication to train to become an Official but if you love the game but don’t fancy playing this has got to be the next best thing being in the thick of the action and that’s what keeps me looking forward to the next session.

No comments:

Post a Comment